ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[atrt-public-input]

ATRT Comment

  • To: atrt-public-input@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ATRT Comment
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 17:06:55 -0800 (PST)

In July I submitted comments to the ATRT public forum.  In them I mentioned two
issues that affect non-English speakers as crucial to ICANN’s commitment to
accountability: translation of the sessions and papers, especially earlier, so
non-native speakers can review them, and the question of having a fast track
for
ccIDNs but not gIDNs.

Though the  report has a lot to say about process it seems largely mute on
these
two issues.  I know I may sound like a broken record on this issue, but as  we
talk about the need for ICANN to become more inclusive and more  international
in its approach, this issue remains a major barrier to  participation in many
sessions of most meetings.  While I am hopeful  that this won’t be the case, I
fear that Colombians who don’t speak perfect English will still find the lack
of
translation a barrier to their participation to an ICANN meeting in  their own
country.  As we strive to make ICANN truly international, this is an area where

significant improvement can be made quickly.
On the second issue – and on the question of IDNs generally -- the report has
almost nothing to say.  Progress continues getting

IDNs to the web, but like many users around the world I remain concerned that
the IDN fast track contains only IDN ccTLDs.  Why

still no plan to fast track IDNs gTLDs?  Many NGOs or academic groups (.org or
.edu users) may for any number of reasons wish to have a web

identity independent of government.  Many businesses may want a web IDN that is
not tied to one country.  Common sense suggests that if

a fast track for key ccIDNs is worthwhile, a fast track for common gIDNs is
important as well.  Given the number of gTLD users around
the world, making them wait into the indeterminate future for IDN versions of
their gTLDs seems unfair -- and not very sustainable,

given the fact that most of ICANN’s budget comes from gTLDs, not cc’s.

Lastly, I'd like to echo a point from Kieren McCarthy's statement.  In this
report and in general, keep it simple and please say what you mean.

UN-speak can be a real barrier to participation.  As I said in my July comment,
accountability and transparency issues are fundamentally about access and
choice
-- and that includes people with different languages and scripts around the
world.

Thank you

Andrew A. Mack
Principal