ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[auction-consultation]

Toward a DNS-enabled Internet for Cities

  • To: <auction-consultation@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Toward a DNS-enabled Internet for Cities
  • From: "Thomas Lowenhaupt" <toml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 12:57:26 -0400

Comments by Thomas Lowenhaupt, Connecting.nyc Inc.

I sent an Update to Connecting.nyc Inc.'s supporters on August 6 highlighting
the ICANN Paris meeting and its adoption of a New TLD Policy. I reported that
we were 95% of the way toward the institutionalization of a clear and fair
process for issuing city-TLDs. And that the remaining 5% was fine tuning of the
RFP.

Later that day I received an email from ICANN entitled "Updates to New gTLD
Program Implementation" that led me to think that last 5% might be harder to
achieve than I'd expected.

The ICANN's August 6 Update referenced Economic Case for Auctions in New gTLDs,
a paper prepared by ICANN staff and its "auction design consultant"
PowerAuctions LLC. The paper purports to discuss the auction, lottery, and
comparative evaluation options for selecting TLD developers in situations where
there's more than one interested party. The paper was written by an auction
company and came to the obvious conclusion. It's as believable as "Coca-Cola
Research Labs Final Report: Coke better than Pepsi!"

Thinking this preposterous, and curious as to how a paper by an auction company
could be presented in a leading role in a decision making process of such
import, I posted a Point of Information request to the designated ICANN list
requesting clarification and context with regard to the document. (See
http://forum.icann.org/lists/auction-consultation/msg00001.html.) But I've not
received a response to my Point of Information, nor to my follow up emails and
phone calls. And I'm still scratching my head; this can't be "the paper" to
start an informed conversation on the question of auction vs. comparative
evaluation. However, having not been provided with the requested context,
prudence demands that I assume there's more to this Auction paper than seems
logical, and so an explanation as to our concerns about an "auction" process
follows.

My concern is absolutely fundamental. For if the recipient of the .nyc TLD is
to be decided by auction, we will loose. And our hope of finally having the
opportunity to put the full capabilities of the Internet - and that includes
the DNS - to address the cities current needs and future growth opportunities,
will be lost.

The reasons for this seem obvious and have been covered in many of the other
postings responding to this ICANN Update. But perhaps I should retell from a
New York City perspective.

One of the things New York City needs is a multitude of "connections" to fill
cracks in its communications infrastructure. Some of these are recent and still
mostly invisible, a scoliosis of sorts, that result from the Internet's lack of
DNS resources for cities. (See "Towards City-TLDs in the Public Interest - A
White Paper" at
http://www.openplans.org/projects/campaign-for.nyc/towards-city-tlds-in-the-public-interest
 for more on this.) But most of these "cracks" arose because of an industrial
era information infrastructure that catered to, and thrived on, a 90-mile
radius broadcast "market," where local needs were addressed only when
catastrophe identified them. It's just the way the world was.

We see the DNS-enabled Internet providing the .nyc TLD as a public interest
resource that's central to the city's growth on a variety of fronts for the
foreseeable future: to benefit neighbor to neighbor communication, to foster
neighborhood stability, the detailing of cultural history and facilitating its
evolution, for initiating city-wide education efforts on the ways of the Net,
for invigorating civic life, health outreach and delivery, and the multitude of
activities that define city life. And to this list one must add such TLD
fundamentals as good domain names for our huge small business and creative
sectors.

The "auction" problem arises because the imagination, creativity, invention,
civic reorganization, and application of resources that will enable our
applying the DNS-enabled Internet's healing powers to our local needs will only
develop slowly. This will be a generational change. We've begun taking steps to
reach into every corner of society to see how a city-TLD can bind and build an
even greater New York. But these developments will take time to add diversity,
scope, and value to the Internet and our city.

And it's impossible for a civic-oriented, long range, slow build TLD of this
sort to compete with the financial "value" other schema will provide -- "Hey
buddy, want to buy Brooklyn-Bridge.nyc?" Our bid for .nyc would pale next to an
operation designed around a quick sell-off of the global popularity and panache
our city today possesses.

And if the ICANN announces that the primary criteria for a successful .nyc bid
is financial "value," it will attract a cadre of applicants to which
"community" means a clever "community benefits package" that in reality turns
out to be payoffs to a select few.

What the ICANN needs to do is acknowledge that there are entities called
cities. That the DNS's historic neglect of these environmentally efficient
locals, where more than ½ the earth's population now live, must end. The ICANN
needs to recognize that cities have special needs that can be addressed by
TLDs. And the ICANN needs to establish criteria and processes for judging the
best application for this important civic resource.