ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[auction-consultation]

Response to Question on Economic Case paper

  • To: "toml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <toml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Response to Question on Economic Case paper
  • From: Patrick Jones <patrick.jones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2008 09:52:58 -0700

Thomas,

This is in response to your two comments posted on the Economic Case for
Auctions comment forum (http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/#gtld-auctions).
I apologize for the delay in responding to you.

You first asked whether there were papers in preparation on other allocation
methods for new gTLD strings. You also asked about the process.

The Economic Case paper only describes the case for auctions as a tie-breaking
mechanism for resolving contention among competing generic TLD applications
(but not for community-based applications if at least one community-based
applicant in a contention set opts for comparative evaluation). The paper does
not describe the proposed auction model. This is the subject of a paper soon to
be released in advance of the considerable work in preparing a draft RFP for
community review prior to the ICANN meeting in Cairo. A number of other papers
are being prepared, including descriptions of contention set handling and
comparative evaluation processes. I think once you, and other commenters, have
an opportunity to review these papers, you will have a better understanding of
the proposed process.

As other commenters on the forum have noted, many applicants applying for a
gTLD may never have to go through the proposed auction process, if their
application is not in contention with any other proposed string, or because
they represent a particular community and opt for comparative evaluation.

I am not aware that you have made any phone calls to ICANN that have gone
unanswered. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Best regards,

Patrick

--
Patrick L. Jones