ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] Draft GNSO Council letter to the GAC

  • To: "bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx " <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] Draft GNSO Council letter to the GAC
  • From: Phil Corwin <pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:22:50 -0400

Clearly, based upon what I sent earlier today, I disagree with Marilyn on this
matter.

But, regardless of the substance, I have questions about the process followed
on this matter. There is no way to determine whether there is sufficient
consensus among BC members without first providing them with the draft GNSO
letter as well as some analysis as to whether and how it is at odds with prior
BC policy statements. Instead, it has been presumed up front that consensus
does not exist and a BC position of abstention has been conveyed to the GNSO
before the BC as a whole has had any opportunity to consider the matter.

It may well be that no consensus exists and that a default position of
abstention properly reflects that, but I think BC members should have some
opportunity for input before a Constituency position is conveyed.

Philip S. Corwin
Partner
Butera & Andrews
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004

202-347-6875 (office)

202-347-6876 (fax)

202-255-6172 (cell)

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey