ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] ICANN staff misuse the word "implementation" in order to avoid going through the GNSO for new policies

  • To: George Kirikos <icann@xxxxxxxx>, BC gnso <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] ICANN staff misuse the word "implementation" in order to avoid going through the GNSO for new policies
  • From: Phil Corwin <pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 01:33:27 -0400

I agree with George that at least some pieces of the IRT recommendations are
clearly policy recommendations, and major ones at that -- and not mere
technical implementation.

The URS is certainly one of these. It might better be called the Uniform Rapid
Suspension Policy, since it both overlaps with and supplements the Uniform
Dispute Resolution POLICY. If the URS is adopted and ICANN is even half right
about the number of new gTLDs to be applied for and created it would be a
powerful policy in place at the majority of gTLDs.

Regardless of one's position on the IRT recommendations, and on new gTLDs
generally, it is very important that whatever is done proceed through proper
procedures. The precedents set by this process will have repercussions for
years. For example, the BC often has disputes with the Registry or Registrar
Constituencies -- would we want ICANN to appoint one of them to form a "team"
to propose "solutions" on some other matter and then have those adopted without
GNSO consideration because they were characterized as Implementation rather
than Policy work? Despite complaints that GNSO reform gives the contract
parties too much power, at least that power is tempered by referral to the GNSO
that gives other constituencies a chance to shape their proposals and the final
result.

Likewise, some take the view that certain IRT recommendations go beyond
protecting existing trademark rights and establish new ones -- the Global
Protected Marks List being the prime example. We can debate that matter, but
does anyone really want ICANN acting as a legislature and creating rights in
the DNS that are not firmly rooted in national law and international treaty?

Overriding proper procedure to expedite certain results can set precedents that
may be sorely regretted down the road.

Philip S. Corwin
Partner
Butera & Andrews
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004
202-347-6875 (office)
202-347-6876 (fax)
202-255-6172 (cell)
"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey