ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: Scoop on TM Rights Protection in new gTLDs - RE: [bc-gnso] FW: [Bulk] [gnso-sti] Draft Summary of Differences Between IRT Report and Applicant Guidebook Version 3

  • To: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Liz Williams <lizawilliams@xxxxxxx>, Zahid Jamil <zahid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Scoop on TM Rights Protection in new gTLDs - RE: [bc-gnso] FW: [Bulk] [gnso-sti] Draft Summary of Differences Between IRT Report and Applicant Guidebook Version 3
  • From: Phil Corwin <pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 02:41:29 -0400

I don't believe that references to  "overwrought pounding on the table by a
small extremely vocal set of players!" are helpful. As a BC member who tried
and failed to secure one place within the IRT for an expert with the
perspective of defending UDRP actions (an omission that occured in part
because, as found by the Ombudsman, the BC failed to provide its members with
timely notice of the opportunity to apply for IRT membership), as someone who
made detailed and thoughtful critiques of the IRT process and Report generally
without ever pounding on the table, and as a representative of a group that is
genuinely opposed to trademark infringement and would like the opportunity to
contribute to a constructive and balanced approach that can be made applicable
to all gTLDs, new and incumbent, I take exception to the statement -- and I
haven't even mentioned the many overwrought statements that have been made by
representatives of TM interests.

But let's put all that aside and try to move forward constructively.  The staff
assimilation of the URS seems to be a proposal that has little support from
either side of the issue. I spoke with Zahid earlier today and indicated my
belief that there is still a possibility for a balanced and constructive
proposal to be put on the table as an alternative. He welcomed that message and
advised me to stay engaged. The BC has a number of domain investors as members,
and on their behalf I would hope that at least one of the four CSG slots for
the STI-DT could reflect that perspective and that we will not again be shut
out of any official status as we were for the IRT.

Philip S. Corwin
Partner
Butera & Andrews
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004

202-347-6875 (office)

202-347-6876 (fax)

202-255-6172 (cell)

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey