ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] a voice from afar

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] a voice from afar
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:17:59 -0500

well. i had great plans to stay up late and try to participate in the various meetings, but it's clear that's not going to happen -- the Constituency meetings are going to kick off at midnight my time and carry on through the rest of the night. i'm just not as young as i used to be i guess. :-)

i've been avidly following the conversation and hope that you will continue to post to the list. no detail is too minute for us fans who are following the play by play.

a few thoughts

regarding the IRT findings

i'm very impressed with the emphasis on collegiality and collaboration that i've seen in the comments so far. i hope that you can continue in that vein and thus make a broadly-supported substantive proposal in that area. kudos to all, and especially Zahid for his periodic "Scoop" posts. Phil Corwin speaks with my voice on that issue.

regarding the charter

spread the work -- the more the better -- many hands make light work and provide opportunities for sunlight to shine in (i like all of Marilyn's suggestions, especially the one about separate CSG representation)

elect rather than appoint -- more opportunities to get to know new people and their points of view

provide due process -- another opportunity for sunlight, especially when it comes to dealing with issues of conflict with existing members

strengthen accountability -- i know, a touchy subject, but it needs to be addressed. again, i like Marilyn's suggestion of moving from 2- year to 1-year terms. perhaps there are other things we can consider as well.

treat this as an interim step -- i have a feeling we'll want to reopen this discussion once the dust has settled. but we need a charter in order to meet the requirements of the moment and leaving some of these issues for another day may be the best way through this patch.

regarding the secretariat

shed as much work as possible -- there are lots of creative avenues to explore before we determine whether we need a dedicated Secretariat like we have today.

leave options open -- this is the wrong time to nail down this one, there are fast-breaking policy issues that you need to concentrate on this week.

carry on people. i'm really sorry i can't be there, but the final meeting of my Minnesota Broadband Taskforce is this week and, since i drafted most of the report, i've got a lot on my plate this week. but you're doing great, and navigating well through a complex situation. i'm REALLY keen on those nightly "huddles" that seem to be emerging.

mikey

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     www.haven2.com
handle OConnorStP (ID for public places like Twitter, Facebook, Google, etc.)