ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] FW: [gnso-sti] Common Grounds Paper

  • To: "Steve DelBianco" <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Zahid Jamil" <zahid@xxxxxxxxx>, "bc - GNSO list" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] FW: [gnso-sti] Common Grounds Paper
  • From: "Deutsch, Sarah B" <sarah.b.deutsch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:54:30 -0500

While I have no problem toning down the "blind eye" references, the
proposed language below goes in the other direction by suggesting that
highly automated functions somehow protect registrars and registries
from liability.  Courts, however, have found registrars in bad faith
even when they raise the argument that they used an automated process.
See, for example:

 http://www.ilrweb.com/pfdocuments/ilrpdfs/verizoncal_v_navigation.pdf
<http://www.ilrweb.com/pfdocuments/ilrpdfs/verizoncal_v_navigation.pdf>

Bad faith can and should be triggered by any number of factors
(including those listed in the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection
Act and UDRP) and should not be limited to situations where the registry
fails to perform specific RPMs.

Sarah

Sarah B. Deutsch
Vice President & Associate General Counsel
Verizon Communications
Phone: 703-351-3044
Fax: 703-351-3670
sarah.b.deutsch@xxxxxxxxxxx