ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] Election -- Expression of Interest -- Vice Chair, finance & operations

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] Election -- Expression of Interest -- Vice Chair, finance & operations
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 18:04:08 -0600

hi all,

January is almost here (happy New Year!) and that means elections are coming
soon.  here's my statement of interest in standing for the VP Finance &
Operations job, in my traditional FAQ format...

Why??

partly because i can -- i've done this kind of thing "for real" back when i
worked for a living.  i've worked for various of the Big-8, er...  Big-6 um...
Big-4 no...  Big-3 accounting/consulting firms (the part of Andersen that
turned into Accenture, and the Coopers and Lybrand part of
PriceWaterhouseCoopers -- what a ghastly name).  i also put in a stint as the
crisis-manager AVP Finance, CIO and Controller at the University of Minnesota
where i was informally known as the "VP of Stuff That Is Broken" until we got
things turned around.  so i have a lot of skills/experience in this area.

i'm also interested because i like to do this kind of thing -- i'm comfortable
with operational and financial issues and enjoy getting them fixed.

What's your history with the BC and ICANN?

here's a link to my ICANNwiki page -- i try to keep this up to date with all
that kinda stuff

http://icannwiki.org/Mike_O'Connor

Where do you think the BC is headed and how will you help get us there?

the BC is my home-base within ICANN and i find it to be a good place to be.
i'm quite taken with the "bottom-up" model as well as the value placed on
"transparency" and want to help make those things work well within the
constituency.  i'm interested in broad lively debate on issues and will
continue to work on due-process for bearers of inconvenient truths.  and
finally, i think we need to get more members and want to help with the
"customer service" stuff.

Are there any issues or concerns with your participation we should know about?

yep.  i'm a white-guy from the US -- so i am not a great contributor to
"diversity" in any leadership group.  if anybody would like to stand for this
role who makes the group more diverse, i'll cheerfully withdraw my application
and help out from the sidelines.  i'm hoping that we can grow our way out of
the situation we find ourselves in right now -- small membership and limited
leadership bench-strength.  nothing would please me more than to find myself
out of a job in a year or two.

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     www.haven2.com