ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] Cross SO/AC Policy Development

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] Cross SO/AC Policy Development
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 19:23:44 -0500

lifting another topic from Danny Younger's blog here...  i'm posting it to our
list because it's a topic that's due for consideration at the next Council
meeting and i'm hoping that we will support Liz's draft.  here's a link to the
blog post (which in turn links to Liz's paper);

        http://icannology.blogspot.com/2010/11/gnso-cross-pollination.html

Tim (and others) are grumpy about the possibility of out-of-band conversations
taking place.  i agree that we have to be careful to structure cross-cutting
efforts so's not to run afoul of the checks and balances that are in place.
but there are a **lot** of problems that can't be addressed within the "silos"
we've got today.

the RAP working-group identified a few examples.  we started calling them "meta
issues" in the WG because they didn't neatly fit into the GNSO structure.  one
example is the need to aggregate and share a wide variety of best practices
(which doesn't just sit in the GNSO, but also touches the ccNSO, RALOs, ALAC,
the works).  there are lots more.

so i hope that we can can support Liz's work, while at the same time making
sure that SO safeguards and controls are retained.

can folks weigh in on this a little?

thanks,

mikey

phone   651-647-6109