ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

RE: [bc-gnso] Announcement: Change in June meeting location: Middle EastDevelopments Cause Cancellation of ICANN Jordan Meeting

  • To: <warren65@xxxxxxxxx>, bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [bc-gnso] Announcement: Change in June meeting location: Middle EastDevelopments Cause Cancellation of ICANN Jordan Meeting
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 16:51:26 -0500

Thanks, Chuck.that could be an excellent approach. There are several BC members
in the San Francisco area, for instance, I think that Fred Felman suggested
they could host 17-20 folks in S.F. area.
If we were to decide to do that, we should identify a few 'needed resources'
for a really effective remote 'hub'.  The IGF does remote hubs, so there is a
'body' of expertise we should consider, if the
If it is to work well, people should stay at a single hotel/or one or two, so
that they actually have their own 'mini meeting' and exchanges.We would ask
ICANN for full remote participation support.It is best to do this in a
dedicated room, that can stay assigned to the meeting for whatever period of
time that the participants are committed to participate.Participating in a
remote hub is different from participating alone, from your office or home
laptop, since it generally involves having a community around you.
We have a significant number of members on the West Coast, as on the East
Coast, USA, and also, between the IPC and BC, a good number in Europe as well.
IF ICANN was to organize remote hubs, it could be that they would fund the
hotel meeting room(w), and have staff on site to support and participate.  If
the BCorganizes our own or partners with IPC/ISPCP, or others,, we would need
to have a facility that can stay open during the relevant  hours for the ICANN
meeting. During Kenya, the Registries and Regisrars decided to rent a hotel
room in Reston Virginia, and have a large screen, etc. for 'attending' certain
ICANN sessions>
I'd like to propose that we stay tuned for whether it is announced to be
Singapore, for instance, and consider whether the BC members who do not
travelwould want to do a remote hub, or whether ICANN itself might organize one
or two remote hubs that people can use. but, this is a good suggestion to keep
in mind, Chuck, and plan accordingly.
Marilyn