[bc-gnso] ICANN Now Projects April 14 Release of New Version of Applicant Guidebook.
ICANN has just put out a new announcement on the gTLD program at http://icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-22feb11-en.htm . In addition to containing summaries and analyses of the latest comments on the Guidebook, it has this to say about the process going forward -- The ICANN Board and Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) will meet in Brussels<http://meetings.icann.org/board-gac-spring11> from 28 Feb – 1 Mar and during the ICANN meeting in San Francisco (13 – 18 March) in the interest of resolving the outstanding issues the GAC has identified with the new gTLD process. A new version of the Applicant Guidebook is not being published at this time. This decision was made with the intent to avoid presuming the outcomes of the discussions among the Board, GAC, and community. Given the short time period between these consultations and the ICANN meeting in San Francisco, there is little utility to publishing a version with new changes, which would also be subject to additional changes based on the outcomes of these meetings, and without time for comment between versions. Work on the Applicant Guidebook is continuing in parallel with these activities. ICANN is continuing to work with stakeholder groups in order to fully understand comments made on the Guidebook and make changes based upon them. It is expected that the next version of the Guidebook to be released will incorporate updates based on: public comment, ongoing consultations, and changes resulting from the Board-GAC consultations and from community discussions in San Francisco. Expected Path Forward * Board-GAC Consultations: 28 Feb – 1 Mar 2011 * ICANN meeting: 14 – 18 Mar 2011 * Release of Applicant Guidebook: 14 Apr 2011 (emphasis added) Based upon the language of the statement, it appears likely that the version of the Guidebook released in April will likely be subject to an additional round of public comment. As to what that means for the actual opening date of the application window, the answer is unclear but one would expect additional delay until at least June 2011 in my personal opinion. Philip S. Corwin Partner Butera & Andrews 1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW Suite 500 Washington, DC 20004 202-347-6875 (office) 202-347-6876 (fax) 202-255-6172 (cell) "Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey