ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Fwd: FW: [bc-gnso] Input needed from all members

• To: <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Fwd: FW: [bc-gnso] Input needed from all members
  • Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 09:20:53 -0800

From the standpoint of the ICANN NomCom, on which Chris Martin and I serve, this further complicates an already complicated situation.

It is widely thought in ICANN circles that the workload on Board members is too high. Certainly it is far beyond the norm of private sector directors, and in some respects, it is those norms we are competing against in recruiting experienced people to serve on the Board.

(The ATRT report, BTW, got this all wrong in its insistence on more Board time and effort than is currently committed.)

So, it simply doesn't work to assume the Board adds a bunch more time for interactions with governments on top of what they are already doing. Something has to be subtracted from the list of direct interaction commitments.

I think the BC, with its knowledge of how private sector organizations and their Boards get the job done, could usefully make some suggestions along this line.

- Mike Roberts

----------------

To: "bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx" <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: FW: [bc-gnso] Input needed from all members
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 17:06:19 +0000

ICA is fine with focusing primarily on new gTLDs, notwithstanding our differences with some of the BC rights protection positions.

While not strictly on the AOC, and perhaps not a topic for extended discussion with the Board at this particular meeting, I think that all BC members should think about how ICANN meetings should best be structured to take into account the new reality of substantially increased GAC involvement in the policy process. The Board and the GAC now plan two days of meetings in San Francisco on new gTLDs (and also, presumably, .xxx) -- on Tuesday, Constituency Day, and on Thursday, which is usually devoted to a lengthy public forum. As there are so many hours in a day, the time the Board huddles with the GAC is time that they cannot interact with constituencies or with the community -- plus they will naturally be more focused mentally on the meetings with the GAC. While there are unlikely to be issues of the same intensity as new gTLDs in the immediate future, GAC members made it quite clear that they want to be involved in future policy issues from the beginning, and that the form o!
 f discussion with the Board taking place now is setting a precedent.

So I think we should all assume that ICANN meetings in the future will either be longer, or differently structured, and have some internal discussion about what revised format would best serve business users.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy