ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bc-gnso]

[bc-gnso] update to members- a reminder of the purpose of BC call Monday and update about ICANN schedule in SF

  • To: bc - GNSO list <bc-gnso@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [bc-gnso] update to members- a reminder of the purpose of BC call Monday and update about ICANN schedule in SF
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 04:44:12 -0500

To: BC Members
From: BC Chair

CC: Ex Comm

The ExComm met on Friday via phone to discuss the reorganization of the ICANN
meeting in S.F.
Members are asked to stay tuned for a more thorough briefing on Monday on what
the ICANN meeting will look like, overall.
The good news is that due to the (at last) improved understanding of the Board
that the governments are in fact legitimate
parts of the Stakeholders, and that many of the topics in their Scorecard are
legitimate and summarize and include reflections
from the business users, ISPs, contracted parties, and ALAC via their own
comments into the ICANN processes, the Board
decided to hear input, not to merely receive input.

Whether the BC always agrees with the Scorecard or not, it was an impressive
document in its organizational approach.

The ICANN meeting in S.F. has many new challenges
1) Constituency Day is affected
2) there are two days of Board and GAC discussions re DAG improvements
3) Former U.S. President Bill Clinton will speak at the Gala and there will be
increased security sweeps (facts of life as those who hang out with Presidents
should be aware of and have taken into account in terms of impact on meeting)
4) Our social event is challenged, but still underway in planning, if I can
confirm the start time. Peter is confirmed to spend some time at that, although
there is a competing ICANN event as well
5) CSG collaborations are a bit challenging
6) There will be a lot of business folks and we need to be recruiting them to
join the BC, and not letting them drift into a vacuum or into a different
constituency due to lack of our own initiative in welcoming and interacting
with them
7) The Breakfast is still on on Tuesday and our guests (TBC) would be the full
ICANN Staff, from COO on to rest of staff. A FIRST, and possibly a strategic
step, if that can be actualized.
8) The CSG interaction with the Board is up in the air until we learn whether
Tuesday is Day One of Two Days devoted to Board and GAC discussions on new
gTLDS.
9) In the Excomm meeting yesterday, the Excomm members on the call discussed
that if Tuesday is devoted to the Board and GAC, and if those are open, that
the majority of our members will want to be observers. Accordingly, on Monday,
you will have the best and most up to date proposal from us based on what we
are able to confirm today and Sunday from my interactions with staff.
we may break our interactions into lunch time segments Monday, Tuesday, and
Wednesday, if Constituency Day is the day that the Board and GAC meet for their
first of two days. While that hampers other BC business, our consensus
conclusion was that would be the preference of the majority of BC members.
IF the meetingsa re not open to observers, we will proceed with our earlier
plans, and have a CSG discussion and a BC meeting.$
I wish I could tell you more now.

It was not that I did not meet with Diane and Peter and talk to Heather.
However, too much fluidity to have any answers as of Friday. Work is going on
franticallz to do the best they can on organization on the meeting and updates.

I do expect a read out from Kurt on the 1a category items on both Weekend to
GNSO meetings, and again on Monday to the fuller community. That is my
expectation, so please treat that as expectation, not confirmation.

MONDAY BC CALL:
The ExComm will brief first on this topic on Monday BC  call REGARDING THE DAG
AND THE STATUS AS WE KNOW IT OF 1aö 1b, and 2 items. Steve will have his usual
excellent approach for prioritizing and focusing us on what we need to do on 1b
or 2 categories, to support improvements that are consistent withi BC
interests. At 10é30 a.m., we will focus on the Council agenda prioritiesé
led by Zahid and John. This will include, but is not limited to WHOIS.

WHOIS: BC Councilors, on your hehalf, have gotten Staff to write a motion to
support _ fully_ funding the WHOIS studies, and John and Zadid are engaged in
recruiting a second to the motion, John has proposed it to the Council list,
and we all agreed to help as we have contacts in other constituencies to
advance full funding for all four studies. Staff was great and drafted a motion
as soon as John contacted them and have been briefing John on the historical
issues.  While some constituencies might have some reluctance, still this is a
Council agreement to do the studies. The BC compromised a LOT when we agreed to
study, rather than make changes asap, and the other constituencies on the
Contracted party side need to be encouraged to support the motion.  On the CSG
and NCSG side, we will need to support John and Zahid as they undertake their
outreach and ensurance of support to the motion.

WHOIS has such broad support from the BC, and a long  history of BC leadership.
 I only mention this to assure the BC members that the ExComm fully supports
the BC members priorities in this area, and that all of us are fully committed
to getting the studies fully funded and advanced.

There are other priorities to address and this will move very quickly.
Positions need to be worked out ahead of the call and presented on the call,
not debated.$
All motions are due to Council on 3-8, so if you have a motion for the
consideration of the BC, you should talk to the ExComm and work with one of the
Councilors on what that is so that they can get staff to help them to draft a
motion, or draft themselves. Motions should be discussed on the Membership
call, though, not bypass the members, unless there is alreadty agreement by the
members.

All motions would require a second, of course.

at 10:45 a.m. or as close to that as possible, Chris and I will present the
proposed and practical approach to BC meetings and engagements at ICANN, based
on the information we have about the schedule, and take questions.

There are some disappointments to us all in the changes. However, business is
better at making adjustments and improvements to a chaotic situation than
anyone I know. We will work together to make the ICANN S.F. meeting a success
for us, and for the businesses we are all working to add to our membership.

I am flying until around 5 p.m. EST on Saturday. I will read any members emails
and suggestions upon arrival, and on Sunday, Chris and I will be reorganizing
as we can to adjust to the information about the S.F. schedule.

Marilyn Cade /on behalf of the ExComm