ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

ICANN Comment

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>, <info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>, <org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN Comment
  • From: "Bob Martin" <bmartin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:16:30 -0500

As CEO of Internet REIT, I strongly urge that language be included in the
ICANN registries agreements that expressly bars tiered pricing of
registrations of .biz, .info and .org.  There is an inherent conflict of
interest in having the registrar be able to set a price for renewal.  As
written, the current agreement gives registries an unfair advantage and
larger stake in the success of Web sites while asking business operators to
bear the cost of success.

Web sites are akin to trademarks. We don't ask companies with successful
trademarks to re-register their trademarks based on the value of their
trademark. Why do we leave the door open to a for-profit company to decide
what the prices are for Web sites?

Registrars register Web sites. That should be it. They ought not be
responsible for establishing the pricing.  That is the responsibility of
ICANN, and a task that ICANN must not abdicate to for-profit companies.

Sincerely,

Bob Martin

Bob Martin, CEO
Internet REIT, Inc.
office: 713-628-7654 x 11  * cell: 512-576-9000
Fax: 713-583-9582
1233 W. Loop South, Suite 1400
Houston, Texas  77027
Acquisition & Development of Internet Real Estate

Confidentiality Note: This e-mail, and any attachment to it, contains
privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named on the e-mail. If the reader of this e-mail is
not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
reading, disseminating or using any of the information contained herein is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately return it to the sender and delete it from your system. Thank
you.