ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

VERY STRONGLY OPPOSE THE PROPOSED .BIZ, .INFO, .ORG REGISTRY AGREEMENT CHANGES

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: VERY STRONGLY OPPOSE THE PROPOSED .BIZ, .INFO, .ORG REGISTRY AGREEMENT CHANGES
  • From: Cheyenne Wildfeather <cheyenne32401@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:41:55 -0700 (PDT)

The proposed changes to the .biz, .info, .org registry agreement are completely
unfair, especially to the small business person who cannot possibly pay what
may be asked for a renewal of their domain name. Many of us small business
entreprenuers make our living via the internet with our domain names used for
selling products, information, services, etc.

  Let's say if Joe Example owns joeexampleswidgets.biz as his business name,
and Joe Example makes perhaps $50,000.00 a year with his business on this
domain name. Now some registrar can decide that they really like the
joeexampleswidges.biz domain name and send Joe Example his renewal notice
advising him that in order to renew his domain name, it will now cost him
$75,000.00 knowing full well, that middle income Joe Example can never afford
to renew his domain name for one year at a price of MORE than he makes in a
year. So, what happens? Joe Example has now lost his business, has to start
over, IF he can buy a domain name at a price he can afford. Then who is to say
that the next domain name he chooses does not have the same thing happen?

  In my opinion, this is a disastrous move that will put your average small
business person OUT OF BUSINESS! This is an awful move and as if every small
business person does not have enough to worry about now, we won't even know how
much it is going to cost us to renew and whether or not it will cost more than
we could possibly afford to pay.

  The only ones who will stay in business are the VERY BIG PLAYERS! The rest of
us will lose our online businesses. From there, what's next? Do the same with
the .com and .net to make sure that no one except for the big players keep
their domain names?

  This is completely unfair and will lead to the destruction of the internet as
we know it. The internet has allowed many of us to own businesses who did not
have the start up capital to own a brick and mortar business. The registrars
already have much more revenue than most of us will ever see in our lifetimes,
yet the power will be given to them to decide who will or will not stay in
business.

  This also leads to other issues such as, lets say the registrars or family
members want to own example.info, and it's about to expire. Well, all they'll
need to do is set the price way above what the current registrant can pay, then
sell it to their family, friends, etc. If you don't have any friends who are
registrars, you are simply out of luck.

  When we all lose our small businesses, there will then be an increase in
unemployment as that will mean a LOT of internet business owners will now have
to go find a decent job in a job market that may not have anything for them.

  PLEASE stop this insanity and do not allow the proposed changes.

  Thank you for your time.

  Cheyenne Wolflover

countries) for 2¢/min or less.