ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Opposed to Variable Pricing

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Opposed to Variable Pricing
  • From: "Steve Holmes" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:29:26 -0500

Dear Sirs,

Please enter this email as a formal disagreement with, and protest of,
certain terms within the proposed .biz, ,info, and .org agreements.
More specifically, the proposed lifting of price control upon registry
services.

Your proposed changes are stated to have been made "following extensive
consideration and discussion". However, when considering the serious long
and short term consequences upon not only future ventures but the potential
for devastating financial impact upon exiting entities, this proposal
demonstrates a serious lack of foresight as those who will be impacted the
most, i.e. - registered domain owners, were not alerted to this proposed
change nor included in this discussion.

Had a few alert individuals not drawn attention to this proposal, the
changes would have been made in almost total anonymity to all except those
who stand to reap the profits.

As a small business owner who has made a considerable investment in
developing the domain names I own, I am firmly opposed to the variable
pricing of domain names by the .org registry.

As an internet consultant you has helped hundreds of other businesses with
their internet services, I am convinced that this change is not in the best
interest of the entrepreneurial spirit of small business, and will merely
reinforce the practice of only allowing the rich to become richer, while the
poor are stripped of this opportunity to prosper.

I am ashamed of how this has been proposed and presented under the radar,
and I strongly urge you to reconsider this proposal.

Best regards,

Stephen D. Holmes, CCP
Chief Strategist
Anne Holmes & Associates