ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

renewal contracts for the .org, .info and .biz domain registries

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>, <info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>, <org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: renewal contracts for the .org, .info and .biz domain registries
  • From: "GNO" <admin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:02:12 -0500

Dear ICANN,

I was informed that renewal contracts for the .org, .info and .biz domain
registries would be allowed to set arbitrary prices on domain registrations and
renewals in the near future. Furthermore, this may influence such possibilities
of agreements/contracts with the .net and .com registry/registries.

I must respectfully argue against this type of agreement, in which a
substantial increase in the prices of domain registrations and renewals could
instantly put me, and many others, out of business, for the reason it would not
be affordable to pay for the domains that I, and others, need to maintain
business.

As many businesses would certainly be destroyed, others would be severely
damaged, and I think there would be very serious repercussions for many years
to come.

For the sake of protecting thousands of people and businesses, and keeping the
Internet accessible and fair to all, I plead that contract renewals for
registries to NOT include language that would allow them to arbitrarily raise
registration fees.

Any increases in registration fees should be reasonable, should NOT be based on
the individual domain attributes, and should be based on the need for continued
operation of the registries, with well-documented proof, and then should go
through a highly-scrutinized approval process.

Thank you for considering my comments.

Gregg N. Ostrick
GNO, Inc., Established 1997
Birmingham, Alabama