ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

No variable pricing!!

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: No variable pricing!!
  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:37:22 -0700

The proposed changes to registry agreements contain a variable pricing structure, increasing modestly per year from 2007 through 2012. In addition, there is no maximum on registration fees and renewals.

Domain registration is monopolistic - if you want .biz, .org or .info, you have no choice - you ultimately go to ICANN to register your domain. Coupled with variable pricing as proposed, this raises the spectre of arbitrarily high renewals, with no third-party governance.

And that's simply unacceptable. I'd feel much better with maximum fee guidelines, along with fees tied to some defined, measurable figure - not a nebulous "success or decline of the registry business."

Arbitrary variable pricing is unacceptable.

Mark Bohrer
Precision Copywriting
www.precision-copywriting.com
(408) 866-9405

I write technical copy in plain language
to get CEOs buying from you