ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Heroin, Steam and The Demise Of The Independent Internet Business Guy

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Heroin, Steam and The Demise Of The Independent Internet Business Guy
  • From: " John - X-streamers.com" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:07:11 -0400

What an interesting proposal.

Interesting because it models so many other corrupt business models.

Let’s look at a heroin dealer. They give you a taste (a small amount) of
heroin and the needles for what you feel is a reasonable price. You get
hooked, WHAM! They jack the price up! You’re hooked, strung out and either
need to pay the price or be in incredible pain and perhaps even die. So you
pay it, you get sicker the dealer gets richer.

Not unlike this new Variable Pricing for Domain Names proposal.

We buy a domain name for what we consider a reasonable price, we develop the
property (the domain) through our capitol and hard work, we get hooked on
the income we derive from the domain and now the dealer ICANN jacks up the
price. Now we either pay it and our business gets sicker and may even die,
or we don’t and the business dies.

How can this type of price gouging bring any sort of value to the users of
the internet?

In the end, small businesses will die, and the users are left to deal with
only the people that can pay the exorbitant prices that the greedy folks at
the top will charge.  Nobody wins except the folks at the top and in the
long haul… even they will loose.

Who knows, actions like this may well send the internet the way of Beta
VCRS. They were too expensive to use, so people stopped using them.

I understand the need to keep the structure of the internet growing and
financed. But there has to be an across the board cap to keep the playing
field level.

Quite honestly, being able to establish a “GOOD” web presence is expensive
now. Jacking up the price of the Domains to ridiculous levels, well… that
will just make it impossible.

So much for the American Dream,

So much for the internet commerce model as we know it.

Actually… So much for the Internet as we know it.

I can hear ICANN singing the words written by the Bridgeport CT band Steam

Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey… Goodbye…….

ICANN – rethink this. I buy a domain, create value for it, and because I
created value in the property, now you charge me more. I just don’t get it.
Show me what you have done for that domain name that will warrant a price
increase, and I’ll entertain the idea, but don’t strong arm  and bully me,
and essentially extort more money from me, just because I created a business
out of nothing.

John Jaworski

President

X-Streamers.com