ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Opposed To Variable Pricing

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, nfo-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposed To Variable Pricing
  • From: "Robert Schweizer" <schweizer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:23:14 -0400

To Whom It May Concern,

  I have been a small website owner for over five years with a steadily
growing business.  I'm quite concerned about the slippery slope that is
variable pricing, especially if Versign follows in ICANN's footsteps.  Right
now there is potential for domain name farmers to buy up good domain names
and turn around and sell them at a profit, but at least that is regulated by
an actual market value instead of a registrar's perceived value. Pointing a
DNS at a valuable domain name does not cost substantially more than pointing
it at a less popular domain.  Variable pricing will discourage economic
speculation, entreprenueral enterprise, and equal opportunity for
start-ups.  In addition, non-profits and not-for-profits would be negatively
affected.

Thank you for your time,
  Robert Schweizer