ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Opposed to Variable Pricing

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposed to Variable Pricing
  • From: Mark Munz <unmarked@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:18:22 -0700

Dear ICANN,

As an existing owner of domains, I am vehemently opposed to this incredibly vague proposal to lift price controls. This approach, on the surface, seems to be nothing more than an attempt of a greedy organization to "cash-in" on efforts of someone else's work. If my work with a particular domain makes it a valuable name, the registry operator would be open to flat out extortion, being able to raise the price of the domain renewal because of my efforts.

The vagueness of the proposal is clearly an attempt to open the floodgates to allow virtually any pricing schemes in.

This is a bad idea, there appears to be absolutely no justification other than "Following extensive consideration and discussion", which is to say NO JUSTIFICATION. Because we "discussed it and considered it" is not justification for this type of action. Sadly, this looks to be nothing more than an act of greed.

This is a bad idea and needs to stop now.

Sincerely,

Mark Munz