ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

STRONGLY OPPOSED TO VARIABLE PRICING!!

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: STRONGLY OPPOSED TO VARIABLE PRICING!!
  • From: Julia Paterson <focalpoint@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:14:45 -0600

Dear ICANN,

I was recently notified that ICANN wishes to introduce "variable

pricing" into its BIZ TLD agreements. As a small business owner, this

decision could be the precursor of something ranging from a mild annoyance
to a catastrophic loss long-term.
In fact, if this was considered as a "tax", it would be outrageous and
definitely illegal!!

If it is possible for someone to simply "price my domain out of my reach", I

could lose my whole web-based business (and it could be conveniently

transferred to someone with slightly deeper pockets) at the whim of some

official at ICANN.

It is fundamentally immoral to make variable pricing a part of the renewal

and registration scheme. It is equivalent to confiscation without due
process

if the domain owner cannot or will not pay the "protection money" required

to renew his or her domain names. At the end, this reduces the domain

registration process to an auction or a poker game where he who can bluff

best or he that has the deepest pockets is the winner.

Instead of allowing domain owners to concentrate on innovating and solving

customer problems, this decision will foster a more political domain renewal

process with senseless negotiations, confusion and needless litigation. It

adds unnecessary complexity and cost.

Looking long term: the directions that the powerful are taking on the Net to

consolidate their power will induce those who wish to be "free" to set up

alternate services and their own networks and organizations. This could end
up as a

two-tiered Internet, which will result in a whole new set of challenges and
concerns.
Such changes in regulation and cost will also deter many people from
starting their own internet businesses.  Where will the 'cash cows' come
from then, when no one is starting new internet businesses - except for the
ultra-wealthy or well-funded?

Please reconsider the variable domain name pricing scheme from the current

proposals.

Julia Paterson

<http://promos.hotbar.com/promos/promodll.dll?RunPromo&El=&SG=&RAND=24506&pa
rtner=hbtools> Upgrade Your Email - Click here!