ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

We strongly disapprove of NeuStar's proposed .biz registry agreement

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: We strongly disapprove of NeuStar's proposed .biz registry agreement
  • From: "Prophet Partners Inc." <Domains@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 19:29:55 -0400

August 28, 2006

We are deeply concerned that ICANN is seriously considering the approval of
NeuStar's proposed .biz registry agreement, as well as the proposed registry
agreements by Afilias for .info and Public Interest Registry for .org. We
believe that all three proposals contain powerful and dangerous clauses that
are both anti-competitive and a stability or security threat to the DNS.
Approval of these proposed registry agreements would also create a dangerous
precedent for Verisign to demand equal or greater concessions from ICANN during
future contract negotiations for the .com and .net gTLD's.

We strongly disapprove of the presumptive renewal clause in the proposed .biz
registry agreement that would provide NeuStar with essentially a perpetual
monopoly over the .biz gTLD for an infinite period of time. We believe that the
presumptive renewal clause is too lenient as it permits NeuStar to make
repeated material breaches of the contract before facing any consequences. It
only takes one material breach to threaten the stability and security of the
DNS. It is our belief that approval of the presumptive renewal clause will
remove any incentive for NeuStar to EARN THE RIGHT to be the ICANN designated
.biz registry. This would likely cause NeuStar to become negligent in their
registry duties, and as a result diminish the stability or security of the DNS.
The only way to ensure that this potentially catastrophic situation does not
occur is to (1) limit the length of the .biz registry agreement and (2)
establish an independently evaluated competitive bidding process among NeuStar
and other qualified registry operators when the .biz registry agreement is up
for renewal.

We also strongly disapprove of the clause in the proposed .biz registry
agreement that removes all price controls imposed on NeuStar's pricing of
registry services. Furthermore, six months advance notice by NeuStar of price
increases is simply inadequate and offers next to no protection for domain
registrants. Without knowing a ballpark figure for the amount of future price
increases by NeuStar, it is impossible for domain registrants to prepare. With
the prospect that NeuStar may raise prices by 100%, 1,000%, 10,000% or more,
many domain registrants will likely be ill prepared for such price increases.
To illustrate such a disaster scenario, think about New Orleans and Hurricane
Katrina, when hundreds of thousands of people were given short notice to
evacuate the city and leave their homes. It is inconceivable that ICANN would
consider granting NeuStar with omnipotent powers over pricing and a perpetual
monopoly over the .biz gTLD. Lord Acton warned that "Power corrupts and
absolute power corrupts absolutely." World history has proven this repeatedly.
The founding fathers of the United States recognized the dangers of
concentrated power and created the three branches of government, executive,
legislative and judicial to keep power in check. The checks and balances of the
U.S. political system are the reasons why we are the most economically powerful
country in the world. Figuratively, this proposed .biz registry agreement would
essentially greatly increase NeuStar's executive and legislative powers, while
greatly reducing ICANN's judicial powers.

ICANN is a non-profit corporation that was specifically created to protect the
interests of the public. In our opinion, it would be a gross dereliction of
duty, if ICANN's Board of Directors approved NeuStar's proposed .biz registry
agreement. If the ICANN Board of Directors fails to see the dangers of the
proposed .biz registry agreement, we kindly ask each of you to individually
provide us with a complete list of your bank and brokerage accounts and sign
over a full power of attorney granting us with full legal powers over your
personal and business affairs. These powers of attorney would of course be
subject to presumptive renewal provided we did not make repeated material
breaches of our agreements.

In conclusion, we recommend that ICANN reject NeuStar's proposed .biz registry
agreement in its entirety.

Sincerely,

Prophet Partners Inc.

www.ProphetPartners.com