ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Proposed Billing Changes

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Proposed Billing Changes
  • From: domain administrator <domains@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 01:34:14 +1000

I would like to voice my objections to the ICANN board regarding the proposed lifting of price controls on registry services. I have developed a number of .info and .org properties into websites, the latter of which I keep very light advertising on. I have worked hard to develop these properties and I believe I have added value to the internet. I did choose domain names that are short and memorable, and applicable to the niche.

I want ICANN to act in my interest and the interests of all other webmasters. I feel that there is a conflict of interest if the registry is able to selectively choose pricing on domains. Should they choose to raise renewal prices on a domain I own, I would feel like I am being forced into having a new partner. A partner who is adding no new value to my websites. I also feel that selective increases in prices will in the long-term create barriers to entry for other new webmasters and ultimately bias these domain spaces towards wealthy individuals & corporations.

Please vote to keep pricing control in effect.

Chris Crowther
+1 646 502-8776