ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Opposition statement to the proposed .biz TLD agreement

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Opposition statement to the proposed .biz TLD agreement
  • From: "NetMidWest Hosting" <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:58:47 -0500

To: ICANN Board of Directors

Dear Sirs,

I fully oppose the proposed registry agreement for the .biz TLD as it lifts the
price controls on the operators of TLD registries. This creates a situation in
which price increases will make those in lesser economic powered countries will
have a mounting barrier to starting and continuing websites. The lack of price
controls on .tv domain names has already made it the most expensive domain to
register. While I fully support Tuvalu's right to a country specific tld, I
doubt even their own citizens can afford to register such a domain.

Further, the major TLD registry operators have publicly stated here:
http://www.gtldregistries.org/news/2006/2006-02-20-01 (within the opposition to
the Verisign Settlement statement) that ICANN should not be the regulatory body
for domain names, and that they would rather deal with the court systems,
anti-trust lawsuits, and legislation imposed by multiple governments. This only
widens the economic divide as the courts in various jurisdictions may decide
differently and move at different speeds, not to mention the corruption that
many third world country's court systems and governments are known to harbor.

This proposed agreement sets a dangerous precedent for other TLDs in the
future. The abuses by Verisign and the signing of that Opposition Statement
show that TLD registry operators are in agreement and that controls should be
in place universally to avoid damage to the domain naming system.

In 1986 it became obvious to me that what would eventually become the internet
could also be the Great Economic Equalizer.
To deregulate pricing on top level domain registries would be a step backwards
toward that end.

Lawrence Hougland
http://www.netmidwest.com/
Host With The Best - NetMidWest!