ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

[no subject]

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject:
  • From: "k.young3" <k.young3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 23:08:26 +0100

To the ICANN Board,

I strongly object to the proposed TLD Registry
Renewal Contracts for .info, .biz, and .org domains. I think there is a
serious flaw where a Registry would be able to set uncontrolled rates without
price caps. This could create a crippling impact on the internet businesses of
millions of domain and web site owners.

The impact will be especially damaging to .org and .info domain owners and site
operators who for the most part use .org and .info domains for non-profit,
charitable organizations, and educational purposes.

As a result of the proposal being implemented there would be bad publicity and
a myriad of expensive time consuming lawsuits and litigation that ICANN itself
would have to deal with from the domain owners.

The real cost of a registering a domain is something like $2.00.
Registration costs should be coming down not going up!
The effect of Icann's current proposals will be to allow selected registrars to
make
unjustifiable profits at the expense of the internet community at large.
By pandering to a few selected monopolies Icann is failing in its duty of trust
to look
after the interests of the internet as a whole.

In view of the serious issues arising from this proposal I would
like to suggest a reconsideration of the contracts and remove this "no price
caps" clause completely.

Yours faithfully,

Kenneth Young