ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

ORG/BIZ/INFO price controls

  • To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx, org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ORG/BIZ/INFO price controls
  • From: "GLBT Talk" <glbtalk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 13:25:20 -0400

I wish to express my profound concern that the proposed registry
agreements for .org, .biz and .info do not prohibit predatory price
rises by the registries.

ICANN was entirely right to object to Verisign's SiteFinder service,
and for all the right reasons, but appears not to have learned the
obvious lesson: that registries can be motivated to do things that
are not in registrants' interests.

Given that reality, removal of price caps is likely to result in
anticompetitive practices that seriously impact internet
stakeholders. I hope that you will reconsider this aspect of the
agreements.