ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

Opposition to this Change in TLD registry Agreements

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Opposition to this Change in TLD registry Agreements
  • From: "David T Ewoldt" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:04:22 -0500

I wish to state my opposition to variable pricing of domain name fees or the
.BIZ TLD. I ask you to reconsider your proposal to change TLD registry
agreements.

I hold the domain for my own name. I don't have anything at the domain
location now, but someday soon I hope to have something worth looking at.
Right now I can afford to renew my domain name every few years. But if
someone decides that my website is popular or will be popular, then they
will change the price to renew. I'm sure it will go up; that's the way
free-market pricing works. I have no idea if I'll ever attract a large
enough following that would allow me to sell ad space, and thereby afford a
higher price domain renewal. My voice would vanish from my own domain name.

I don't think I should ever be forced to pay a price based on what someone
else thinks is "market price." If someone comes up with an automated scheme
to trick everyone into thinking my domain is more valuable than it is, I'll
be forced to pay an exorbitant price. Would speculators force me out of my
own domain? Would I be forced to pay thousands of dollars for my own name?
That can't be fair. That can't be in the spirit of any law that governs
commerce or telecommunications in this country. Is this "equal protection"
that our constitution speaks of?

Would small businesses be forced by larger competitors into paying huge fees
for domains they already have? I could easily see a big company claiming
that a small company's domain is much more valuable than it is, thereby
prompting a higher fee. Would a company hit my site so much that it would
appear more popular than it is? I think that is destined to happen.

What would happen to popular websites that have no intention of attracting
large paying customers? Would a website run as a hobby be forced to pay huge
fees? Would the web become a place of large income sites only? If that were
to happen the stifling effects would be devastating to the rich and vibrant
culture of the Internet.

I say NO to variable pricing and lifting the price controls as stated.

I think the fees should be low, and nominal. The fees should set to solely
reflect the value of the service of arbitrary recording and registration of
domains. The fees for renewal or initial registration should not be based on
any measure of future, past or present traffic.

Given that domain name registration is a government granted monopoly I think
it would be wise of all domain registrants reflect the values of fairness
and egalitarianism that have made this country so great. Everyone should pay
the same fee for every domain name.

Please reconsider your proposal to change TLD registry agreements.