ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[biz-tld-agreement]

No on variable pricing

  • To: <biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>, <info-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>, <org-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: No on variable pricing
  • From: "Stern, Steven D." <sstern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:59:32 -0500

I am opposed to variable pricing for domain names.  My organization should not
be penalized if we create value through web sites. It seems that the better we
do, the more we'd have to pay to renew existing domains or create new,
affiliated ones.  Neither ICANN nor the registrars have participated in this
value creation process; they should not reap any benefit from it.  .  It costs
them no more to register amazon.com than mysillypersonaldomain.com. Registrars
are entitled to their costs and a reasonable profit based on the value they
provide to the Internet community

Steven Stern
Chief Technology Officer
CCIM Institute