ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bylaws-amend-chair-comp]

compensation of Board Chair/and future discussions about Board compensation

  • To: <bylaws-amend-chair-comp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: compensation of Board Chair/and future discussions about Board compensation
  • From: Marilyn Cade <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 22:23:33 -0400

I am restating my support for remuneration of the ICANN Board Chair. I also
request that the staff take note and include the comments made during the
public forum in Brussels regarding this topic. My comments at the microphone,
which are a matter of public record, should be included in the public comment
process on this topic.
Our Board works very hard in behalf of the community, and the role of Chair is
especially time consuming. I believe that remuneration of the Chair is a
necessary improvement and should be implemented immediately.
It is quite frustrating to the community who has followed this issue over a few
years, to see that it has taken so long to address. If a Board member, whether
chair or other, is uncomfortable for any reason to accept the ICANN
remuneration, they can decline it. Such issues are not a justification to
further postpone moving forward with a reasonable payment to the Chair.
The amount proposed by staff seems low, given the challenges, responsibilities,
time commitments required of the Chair. The Community understands that the
Chair,ultimately, is the most senior execuitive of ICANN, and is elected by
other Board members to carry forward an incredibly important and challenging
leadership role.  The remuneration of the Chair should be higher, however, it
is important to move ahead now.  Adjustments to the amount can be made at a
later date.
Marilyn Cade