ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[ccnso-idncctld]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

[ccnso-idncctld] FW: ccTLD IDNs: Draft methodology for fast track

  • To: <ccnso-idncctld@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ccnso-idncctld] FW: ccTLD IDNs: Draft methodology for fast track
  • From: "Janis Karklins" <janis.karklins@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:52:41 +0200

FYI, comments from European Commission.

JK

  _____

From: gac-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gac-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of William.Dee@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: piektdiena, 2008. gada 11. aprīlī 11:08
To: gac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: donna.austin@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: ccTLD IDNs: Draft methodology for fast track

Dear colleagues,

As we know, ICANN have now posted the above document (
http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-04apr08.htm ) for public comment
by 25 April. Clearly a lot of good work has been done by the IDN Committee
and I would in particular to like to thank GAC colleagues who actively
participated in the Committee.

Attached are my comments on the proposed approach. As you will see, I feel
that there are a number of issues that still need attention. In particular,
I am concerned that the "fast-track" approach proposed will not be fast
enough because there would be too many procedural steps to be addressed by
any potential applicant.

In addition, some of the issues, I believe, need to be determined by
governments, rather than ICANN, such as whether a proposed string is
"controversial" or which script(s) should be used. We have agreed in the
WSIS that "Countries should not be involved in decisions regarding another
country’s country-code Top-Level Domain (ccTLD)". This principle, I believe,
should also be extended, to the greatest extent possible, to other actors
outside the local Internet community of the country concerned. In relation
to IDN ccTLDs, this would require that ICANN limit itself to matters related
to the global stability and interoperability of the DNS. It is difficult,
for example, to see how the extent to which a proposed string is
controversial or in one script rather than another would fall into this
category.

Because of the priority that we all attach to the introduction of IDNs at
the earliest opportunity, I have therefore proposed what I believe is a less
complex and faster procedure for your consideration. I did submit this
procedure to the IDN Committee during its deliberations but I have not
received any feedback (positive or negative) at the time. I would therefore
welcome any comments or suggestions that you might have prior to our
discussions in Paris, where I presume that the GAC will formulate a reply to
the proposed approach.

Regards,

William Dee

European Commission