ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[cctld-sunset-comments]

ICANN paper on retiring ccTLDs

  • To: cctld-sunset-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN paper on retiring ccTLDs
  • From: Olivier Guillard / AFNIC <Olivier.Guillard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 00:46:36 +0100

AFNIC believes there is no emergency in "sunsetting" deprecated ISO
3166 codes, especially when they are in active use. TLDs based on
these codes do not threaten the security or stability of the Internet.

Moreover, stability of identifiers (among them, the URLs, which are
based on domain names) would suggest that identifiers should be
allowed to last after their retirment from the original standard (see
RFC 4646 for a good example).

Therefore, AFNIC thinks this matter should be subjected to more study
and discussions, keeping in mind the need for long-term stability.

More generally, behind (and before) the operational problem of
retiring ccTLD from the root zone file, the broader issue of
consistency between iso3166 and ccTLD list is raised here.

As far as we know, no clear decision indicates that there is a need
to maintain a consistency between those two lists: this issue should
be raised at a higher level.

Best

--
Olivier Guillard P/O AFNIC