ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-atrt2-recommendations-09jan14]

in support of Garth Bruen and KnuJon

  • To: comments-atrt2-recommendations-09jan14@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: in support of Garth Bruen and KnuJon
  • From: Glenn Becker <burningc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 19:29:28 +0000 (UTC)

Greetings,

I would like to add my admittedly small voice to those who have been following and appreciating Garth Bruen's tireless work.

Over the past couple of years my efforts at fighting a mephitic tidal wave of spam have probably increased four-fold: once I started seeing invitations for what was apparently (given the URLs) child pornography sites, I decided I had had enough -- so instead of simply submitting my spam reports to SpamCop and moving on, I started to use tools like whois, dig and host to try to track down the owners of the IPs or at least IP ranges from whence the spam was coming.

Unfortunately, whois more often than not provided information that was bogus, incomplete (no contact email at all) or -- more innocently I suppose -- out of date. My emails to the NOCs and admins of the IPs or hosts in question most often bounced straight back to me. In the case of the output apparently hosting the child pornography sites, I wound up contacting law enforcement in the Netherlands. Whether anything was done, I do not know.

This is simply unacceptable. If there are rules, *someone* is not doing the job of enforcing them. If there are rules but they are only for people who aren't wealthy, then we have a bigger problem, I'd say.

Garth has correctly pointed out that the Ombudsman's response to our collective claim was not actually a response at all, and was, to put it bluntly, a hopelessly lame and high-handed brush-off.

I cannot imagine how the companies that regularly turn a blind eye to this kind of activity are still in business. Well, actually, I CAN imagine ... and it isn't pretty.

Please clean up.

Regards,

Glenn Becker

Glenn Becker - burningc@xxxxxxx