ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-base-agreement-29apr13]

Registration of new gTLD through ICANN and potential risks for European agro-industry

  • To: "'comments-base-agreement-29apr13@xxxxxxxxx'" <comments-base-agreement-29apr13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Registration of new gTLD through ICANN and potential risks for European agro-industry
  • From: Vito Galluzzi <galluzzi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 09:18:59 +0200

Dear Sirs,

since we have learned about the proceedings initiated by ICANN - Internet
Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers - for the registration of new
generic top-level web domains (gTLDs), we wish to communicate our position on
the matter.
For those who don't know us, please note that ISIT - Istituto Salumi Italiani
Tutelati - is the Italian association that incorporates 15 groups of producers
which represent 20 Italian meat based PDO (Protected Designations of Origin)
and PGI (Protected Geographical Indication).
We agree with the concern, already expressed by other institutions and
associations (such as EFOW, Federalimentare, FederDoc and AICIG), about the
potential risks for the European agro-industry, and particularly for PDO and
PGI products.
Reserving exclusive rights to private companies on certain generic terms, in
absence of an adequate regulation, could result in an improper use of that
terms, contrary to the rules of European geographical indications.
Moreover, there is a clear problem of private trademarks protection, since a
term could be registered by a company that is not the right holder.
So we hope that ICANN would take into account the aforementioned concerns and
do their best to protect the European agro-industry system, with particular
reference to the Geographical Indications (PDO and PGI products) and the
interests of the numerous companies involved.
Thank you very much for the given attention.
Yours sincerely
Vito Galluzzi
ISIT - Istituto Salumi Italiani Tutelati
Milanofiori - strada 4 palazzo Q8 - 20089 Rozzano (MI) - Italy
tel +39 02.8925901 - fax +39 02.57510607