ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-bylaws-amend-gac-advice-15aug14]

Proposed Bylaws Change to Give Govts Dominate Decision Making on ICANN Board Should be Rejected

  • To: comments-bylaws-amend-gac-advice-15aug14@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Proposed Bylaws Change to Give Govts Dominate Decision Making on ICANN Board Should be Rejected
  • From: Gordon Graham <g.gordon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 00:26:19 -0400

I am extremely concerned that ICANN is proposing to give control over its
decision-making to government representatives.

The internet has been built over many decades by individuals, academics,
non-profits, and private companies, with the help of some government seed
funding.

To tilt the governance of ICANN completely towards governments is radical and
intolerable. Many governments in our world are not democratically elected. Many
would be delighted to deflect the internet to meet their agendas of political
coercion and censorship. This is an obvious power-grab that reveals a very dark
motive.

Please grow a backbone and resist this call for government control of the
internet.

If you need support, ask the worldwide community for their comments in a more
public way than simply these comments. You will get an earful, believe me. I
believe not 2% of the worldwide internet community that would actually agree
with this proposal.

Thank you,
Gordon Graham

 Gordon Graham