ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15]

ITI comments on CCWG-A 2nd Draft Report

  • To: "comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ITI comments on CCWG-A 2nd Draft Report
  • From: Alice Jansen <alice.jansen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 22:43:19 +0000

Submitted on behalf of Ken Salaets

________________________________

The Information Technology Industry Council, ITI, is pleased to once again have
the opportunity to comment on the work of the Cross Community Working Group on
Enhancing ICANN Accountability (CCWG).  We wish to thank the numerous
volunteers who have logged many hours and miles in developing the "2nd Draft
Report on Work Stream 1 Recommendations."  We urge the CCWG and other
stakeholders to insist that this proposal serve as the locus of all further
deliberations on enhancing ICANN accountability.

ITI represents the world's leading providers of information and communications
technology (ICT) products and services.  As the voice of the high tech
community, we advocate policies that help advance technology and innovations
and improve people's lives.  Maintaining the existing multistakeholder system
of Internet governance is a critical and essential component of that objective.

As we have stated in previous comments, ITI supports the IANA stewardship
transition process initiated by U.S. Department of Commerce's National
Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) last year.  We view it
as a logical and necessary step in strengthening multistakeholder governance of
the Internet.  At the same time, we recognize that some stakeholders have
concerns regarding the transition in general, and with ICANN processes in
particular.  Thus, we also strongly support the initiative to revise and
enhance ICANN's bylaws and procedures so as to increase organizational
accountability to the broader community.  Indeed, we view this initiative as an
essential and necessary component of the IANA stewardship transition.

The 2nd Draft Report on Work Stream 1 Recommendations contains significant
improvements over the initial draft, and meets relevant benchmarks established
by the NTIA.  In particular, we strongly support the proposed change to Article
XI section 2 clause J of the ICANN Bylaws (paragraph 619) regarding "Stress
Test #18."  We believe the proposed revision provides essential clarity
regarding the appropriate role and weight that should be afforded to GAC
advice.  ITI believes that it is appropriate for the ICANN Board of Directors
to assign additional weight and consideration to consensus policy advice from
GAC because such advice truly represents the considered views of all government
stakeholders.  In contrast, if the GAC were to cease to become advisory -
because, for example, it reflected only the majority views of that community -
we do not believe that such deference would be appropriate.

While some may question the necessity of certain proposed accountability
provisions, we do not.  Taken altogether, we believe the CCWG's newly-proposed
community powers will provide essential checks and balances while achieving an
appropriate balance among the interests of all stakeholders, including those of
the Board of Directors and staff.   If fully adopted and implemented prior to
the IANA stewardship transition, we believe the proposal will help engender and
strengthen community trust and confidence in ICANN as the sole steward of the
IANA functions.

Again, we applaud the CCWG for this solid proposal.

Ken J. Salaets
Director
Information Technology Industry Council
Washington, DC