ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15]

Comments on proposal

  • To: comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on proposal
  • From: Nell Minow <nminow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 18:49:36 -0400

I first want to endorse the comments from Jan Aart Scholte, which are
thoughtful and detailed.  My own comments are more general and concern our
process as well as the proposed structure.

My primary overall concern is that for an enterprise at the heart of the
internet, it is disappointing that our process operates almost without any
regard for the opportunities created by the world wide web and social media.
The small number of comments is evident that our proposals have not been seen,
much less reviewed by many people who are among those best situated to
participate. It is simply not enough to make these proposals available on our
own website.  The CCWG, ICANN itself, and all of the other constituency and
stakeholder groups must make a concerted effort with a specific goal of page
views and comments, making use of whatever viral systems are available to make
sure that the vitally important issues raised by these proposals are thoroughly
reviewed and extensively commented on.  The very system in question here is
ideally set up for allowing constituency and stakeholder groups to comment on
their own behalf and we should take advantage of and encourage it.

In a related point, it is the nature of governance structures that they become
entrenched, compromised, and insulated, even with a constituency-based
collection of advisory groups.  The groups themselves will inevitably be
hidebound by bureaucracy and structure over substance without a robust system
for renewal.  This is even more important given the pace of technological
change.  The system has to provide for a regular (perhaps every five years)
zero-based, independent outside analysis of the effectiveness of the ICANN and
advisory group system, again with a massive social media outreach to ensure
that as many users as possible, not just corporate or government but
individuals can participate.

I concur with the comments made by Google, which would refine the proposal’s
checks and balances to make them more effective and equitable, and ALAC’s
comments on the sole member model, which is an example of my more pervasive
concern that in many places the current proposal is explicit where it should be
flexible and vague where it should be specific.

I am also concerned that we are expecting too much from volunteers.  If we
expect to get the most qualified representatives of stakeholders involved, we
have to be willing to pay the participants.  It does not have to be a lot, but
it does have to be enough to attract busy people who have many other
opportunities and to let them know that we expect a significant commitment of
time.

We have extensive and details goals, principles, and deadlines but we do not
have clear consequences for failure to meet them. There is a labyrinthine and
cumbersome process for removing or replacing members of the board, but since
the review board members are approved by the board itself, that compromises the
independence and effectiveness of the IR.  If deadlines are not met, an
automatic review should be triggered.  If it is more than a year late, the
tenure of board members should be automatically put to an IR vote.  And if the
IR does not agree with the response of the ICANN board to the nominees it
provides, it should be able to overrule a decision not to place a proposed
nominee on the IR by a vote of 2/3.

The proposals as currently constituted are complicated and arcane, as is to be
expected from so many committees and constituencies, coming from so many
countries and cultures.  This underscores the importance of far wider
participation and regularly scheduled reviews to make sure that ICANN keeps up
with changing needs and technologies.