ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-cdar-draft-27oct16]

CDAR Comment from John Poole, Editor, DomainMondo.com

  • To: comments-cdar-draft-27oct16@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: CDAR Comment from John Poole, Editor, DomainMondo.com
  • From: John Poole <jp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2016 17:54:18 -0600

Comment to ICANN re: Continuous Data-Driven Analysis of Root Server System
Stability Draft Report
<https://www.icann.org/public-comments/cdar-draft-2016-10-27-en>

The Draft Report is inadequate and fails to assure the global internet
community of the Root Zone security and stability, nor does the report
definitively answer the essential questions:

"The study’s primary research question is: Did the delegation of new gTLDs
> degrade the stability or security of the root DNS system? And based on the
> analysis carried out for this research question, our second research
> question is: Can we expect that the delegation of more new gTLDs will
> degrade the stability or security of the root DNS system in the future?"
> ("Draft Report" 27 Oct 2016, p.2).

The ONLY thing the authors of the Draft Report can definitely state is:*
"We did not find any degradation of the stability or security of the root
DNS system in this period that we could attribute to the new gTLDs." *(Draft
Report, p.2)

That finding is hardly reassuring given the admission the authors of the
Draft Report make on p. 3:

* "our conclusion is limited to the results of the analyses that we
designed and executed and is confined by the imperfections of the available
measurement data."*
In addition, both ICANN and the authors of the Draft Report have been
careless and negligent in failing to acknowledge and address the substance
of the comments of Daniel Karrenberg Chief Scientist RIPE NCC, (speaking
individually, not on behalf of the RIPE NCC)
https://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-cdar-study-plan-02dec15/msg00001.html
dated 26 Jan 2016, which stated in part:

> *"Our main comment and advice to ICANN is: do not expect the study to
> predict the absence of instabilities in the DNS root name serversystem
> including absence of instabilities that may be wholly or partly caused by
> root zone expansion. ICANN therefore must make propercontingency plans for
> the unpredictable cases where root zone expansion causes or contributes to
> instabilities in the DNS root seversystem."*

ICANN has a long history of being foolish, careless, incompetent, and
grossly negligent, when it comes to coordination and management of the
internet, including root zone, in adding new generic top-level domains (new
gTLDs)--see *e.g.,* News Review: ICANN Used 'Junk Science' Firm to Justify
New gTLDs.
<http://www.domainmondo.com/2016/11/news-review-icann-used-junk-science.html>

Having already made the worst mistake in its organizational history in the
way it implemented the new gTLDs program, ICANN appears content to continue
in its misguided ways until it wrecks the internet and/or domain name
system, global public resources over which ICANN is not, and never has
been, a good steward.

Respectfully submitted,
John Poole, Editor, DomainMondo.com <http://www.DomainMondo.com>

<http://www.domainmondo.com/2016/11/news-review-icann-used-junk-science.html>