ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

Closed ".security" TLD 's

  • To: <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Closed ".security" TLD 's
  • From: "Jack Shore" <jshore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:12:37 -0500

February 27, 2013

Dr. David Crocker, Chairman of the Board
Mr. Fadi Chehade', President & CEO
Mr. Cherine Chalaby, Chair of the New gTLD Committee

Dear Committe Members,

As a member of CANASA and an alarm dealer operating in the GTA for the last
24 years, I am concerned about the application of Symantec or any other
applicant for a "closed generic" domain using the .security suffix.

I am against such an application for mostly the following reasons:

*       I believe the Internet should remain open with room for the security
and alarm industry.
*       Generic words cannot and should not be owned for the exclusive use
of one company.
*       A closed generic domain is not in the public interest.
*       If ICANN permits any company to possess a "closed domain" -
including Symantec (a computer company) to use ".security" then the security
and alarm industry would be greatly disadvantaged.
*       Closed use of ".security" is not similar to the way ".com," ".net"
and ".org" are used on the Internet daily.

Therefore, I believe a closed generic application for ".security" is
anticompetitive and request that ICANN require applicants for closed generic
TLDs to either open the TLD or withdraw for a full refund.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

GIF image

JPEG image