ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

“closed generic” domains should not be permitted

  • To: comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: “closed generic” domains should not be permitted
  • From: David Wilson <david@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:08:09 -0400

Attention:
Dr. David Crocker, Chairman of the Board
Mr. Fadi Chehade’, President & CEO
Mr. Cherine Chalaby, Chair of the New gTLD Committee

My business feels strongly regarding the following:

   - We support an Internet that is open and focused and has room for the
   security and alarm industry.
   - Generic words cannot and should not be owned for the exclusive use of
   one company.
   - A closed generic domain is not in the public interest.
   - If ICANN permits any company to possess a “closed domain” – including
   Symantec (a computer company) to use “.security” then the security and
   alarm industry could be lost.
   - Closed use of “.security” is not similar to the way “.com,” “.net” and
   “.org” are used on the Internet daily.
   - Therefore, we believe a closed generic application for “.security” is
   anticompetitive and we request that ICANN require applicants for closed
   generic TLDs to either open the TLD or withdraw for a full refund.

Thanks you for your consideration of my comments.

Regards,
**
David C. Wilson
President