ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

Closed Generic Top Level Domains

  • To: "comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Closed Generic Top Level Domains
  • From: Mike Shantz <mshantz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 00:10:12 -0500

[cid:image004.jpg@01CE179E.671D7B20]
230 Alder St.
Sudbury, ON.
P3C 4J2

March 2, 2013

Dr. David Crocker, Chairman of the Board
Mr. Fadi Chehade', President & CEO
Mr. Cherine Chalaby, Chair of the New gTLD Committee
12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90094

We have great concern with "Closed" Top Level Domains.

We strongly believe that this will be harmful to the public good and will be
anti-competitive.
The public when searching on the internet want choices and options not just the
products or services of a single company.
A closed generic domain is not in the public interest.

If ICANN permits any company to possess a "closed domain" - as an example
Symantec (a computer company) to use ".security" then the security and alarm
industry could be lost.

Generic words cannot and should not be owned for the exclusive use of one
company.

Therefore, we believe a closed generic application are anticompetitive and we
request that ICANN require applicants for closed generic TLDs to either open
the TLD or withdraw for a full refund.

Regards

Mike Shantz

[cid:image003.jpg@01CE179D.7EAAA520]

Mike Shantz
VP Operations
Cam-X Gold Site Certified
16 Year Diamond Award of Excellence Winner
Direct Line (705) 669-2750 or (800) 461-3317
Find out more about us at
http://www.Northern911.com<http://www.northern911.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and
may be protected by legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, be
aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any
attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this and all
attachments from your system. It is the responsibility of the recipient to
ensure that this message and any attachments are virus free. Thank you for your
cooperation.

JPEG image

JPEG image