ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

Closed Generic gTLDs

  • To: <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Closed Generic gTLDs
  • From: "Max Cooter" <max_cooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 11:45:02 +0000

I'm writing to express my concern about the proposed introduction of the closed
generic gTLDs - in particular the .cloud domain and the application by Amazon
to be the domain registrar.

This action is antithetical to the whole notion of the open Internet and is a
proposal that does nothing to enhance the free market in a growing area of
technology. I find it hard to think of many actions that are so detrimental to
the emergence of competition in the cloud market. It cannot be good for the
industry and for users to have a domain administered by a single player in the
marketplace, it's a move almost designed to kill off competition.

Speaking as the editor of UK's leading cloud publication, I wish to oppose this
proposal and hope that ICANN rejects it.

Max Cooter
Editor, Cloud Pro
max_cooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel: (+44)(0)20 7907 6546
Mobile: (+44)(0) 7771 757726
Twitter:@maxcooter
Skype: maxcooter

NOTE: The information in this email is confidential and may be legally
privileged, unless stated to the contrary. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate that information.
Any opinions or comments are personal to the writer and do not represent the
official view of Dennis Publishing Ltd. If you have received this email and are
not a named addressee, please contact it.director@xxxxxxxxxxxx immediately by
reply email and then delete this message from your system. Please do not copy
it or use it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.
Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus,
or other defects, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they
are virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Dennis Publishing Ltd for
any loss or damage arising from the receipt or use thereof.
Company registered in England No. 1138891
Registered office: 30, Cleveland Street, London, W1T 4JD