ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

FW: Internet domain issue could affect home security industry

  • To: "comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: FW: Internet domain issue could affect home security industry
  • From: Danielle Paquin <dpaquin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 10:48:00 -0500

Bonjour
As you can see below, we have communicated your concern to all our members
across Canada. This news has risen questions, among which is : are the Canadian
companies touched as well by this new ICANN mesure is it limited to North
America ? My guess is yes, but I would like to talk to someone about this
concern and see if the Canadian companies should be more active to support your
initiative to block the should you have more information . Can you either call
or give me soon, a number I can reach to get more information ?

As the deadline is soon, I hope to hear from you soon!

Danielle Paquin
Directrice régionale, section du Québec
Regional Director, Québec Chapter
L'Association canadienne de la sécurité/Canadian Security Association
6683, Jean Talon Est, bureau 446, Montréal, Québec, H1J 0A5
M. C. : (514) 884.3343
S.F. - T.F : 800.538-9919|
Télécopieur .:  Fax: 905 513-0624
E: dpaquin@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:dpaquin@xxxxxxxxxx>
www.canasa.org<http://www.canasa.org/> |
www.securitycanadaexpo.com<http://www.securitycanadaexpo.com/>

La CANASA défend et forme ses membres, et agit à titre de leader pour les
professionnels canadiens de la sécurité au sein d’un environnement
autoréglementé.
Cette transmission peut contenir des renseignements de nature confidentielle ou
privée et doit être acheminée uniquement aux destinataires nommés. Si ces
renseignements sont reçus par une autre personne que le ou les destinataires
nommés, elle doit immédiatement en informer l’expéditeur par courriel et lui
demander comment détruire les renseignements reçus. En aucun temps, ces
renseignements ne peuvent être lus, utilisés, copiés, reproduits, enregistrés
ou conservés par quiconque autre que le ou les destinataires, à moins d’obtenir
un consentement écrit de l’expéditeur ou des destinataires.

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your
browser.<http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=703c965dd623da97cd8ebb712&id=e2f0439c24&e=eb82a244bd>

[http://gallery.mailchimp.com/703c965dd623da97cd8ebb712/images/E_BulletinNat2010_EN.jpg]<http://canasa.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=703c965dd623da97cd8ebb712&id=061f21facb&e=eb82a244bd>

Internet domain issue could affect home security industry
Background: One of the administrative arms of the Internet, ICANN
(International Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) is about to permit
companies to register a new kind of Internet address replacing the standard
“.com” with “.[fill in the blank].” These are called “generic TLDs” for “top
level domains.” Examples include .insurance, .app, .jewelry, .search and .book,
among others. Since last summer, companies have been invited by ICANN to apply
for use of TLDs that might be specific and appropriate for their industries,
companies, organizations, etc.

For our industry, a security and alarm company should be able to register
“companyname.security” instead of “companyname.com.” The ability to register
“.security” domain names would allow you and members of the security industry
to:

 *   Instantly let the public know your line of business;
 *   Create significant opportunities for targeting, branding and geo
targeting; and
 *   Add a more intuitive architecture to the Internet.
Cause for concern: Three companies applied to ICANN to operate “.security.”
Symantec, one of the companies applying to administer this new program, has
requested to operate this new domain of “.security” as a “closed domain,” which
means the domain will be operated by a participant exclusively for its own
benefit. If a customer were to search for “security” via a web-based search
engine, the results would only include those “.security” domains that relate to
Symantec products and services. Security and alarm companies would not appear,
thus eliminating this important marketing channel.

If ICANN were to grant this request by Symantec, security and alarm companies
could be locked out of innovations:

 *   Home security companies would not be permitted to select a
“companyname.security” domain name.
 *   The potential to optimize search in websites and digital material could be
seriously restricted for some time into the future.
 *   The “.security” domain could be administered by a company with little to
no interest in addressing the needs of the residential and commercial security
and alarm industry.
 *   A closed “.security” TLD would be anticompetitive as it could give any
company with a closed status an unfair advantage in website navigation.
CALL TO ACTION: Take a stand and communicate concerns to ICANN.
ICANN is permitting public
comments<http://canasa.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=703c965dd623da97cd8ebb712&id=ac2d0fba4f&e=eb82a244bd>
 for a limited window – from now until March 7, 2013. Send a comment to ICANN
that “closed generic” domains should not be permitted.” Helpful talking points
for your consideration:

 *   We support an Internet that is open and focused and has room for the
security and alarm industry.
 *   Generic words cannot and should not be owned for the exclusive use of one
company.
 *   A closed generic domain is not in the public interest.
 *   If ICANN permits any company to possess a “closed domain” – including
Symantec (a computer company) to use “.security” then the security and alarm
industry could be lost.
 *   Closed use of “.security” is not similar to the way “.com,” “.net” and
“.org” are used on the Internet daily.
 *   Therefore, we believe a closed generic application for “.security” is
anticompetitive and we request that ICANN require applicants for closed generic
TLDs to either open the TLD or withdraw for a full refund.
Who to contact at ICANN:
Dr. David Crocker, Chairman of the Board
Mr. Fadi Chehade’, President & CEO
Mr. Cherine Chalaby, Chair of the New gTLD Committee
12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90094

Please email comments to:
comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>

[http://gallery.mailchimp.com/703c965dd623da97cd8ebb712/images/CANASA_Logo.1.jpg]

Canadian Security Association | 50 Acadia Avenue, Suite 201, Markham, ON L3R 0B3

Tel (905) 513-0622 | Fax (905) 513-0624 | Toll-free 1 (800) 538-9919 |
www.canasa.org<http://canasa.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=703c965dd623da97cd8ebb712&id=94995bcde6&e=eb82a244bd>

Copyright © 2013. Canadian Security Association. All rights reserved.

Privacy
Policy<http://canasa.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=703c965dd623da97cd8ebb712&id=500e7a3e5d&e=eb82a244bd>
Us<http://canasa.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=703c965dd623da97cd8ebb712&id=9f2fc615a9&e=eb82a244bd>
list<http://canasa.us1.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=703c965dd623da97cd8ebb712&id=3b30092c0f&e=eb82a244bd&c=e2f0439c24>