ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

Dot Cloud must not be a closed TLD

  • To: <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Dot Cloud must not be a closed TLD
  • From: "Andrew Brenson" <andrewbrenson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 18:34:25 -0000

I understand that there are suggestions that the .cloud TLD may be a closed
one, enabling a major commercial organisation such as Amazon or Symantec to own
it outright.

Frankly, that’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever heard if true.

Given the wide and diverse marketplace for cloud service providers, the concept
of allowing any single organisation to own it outright would be scandalous and
anti-competitive.

I have no problem with Amazon owning the rights to Amazon.cloud but the idea of
them inhibiting smaller providers from using their own brands with a .cloud
suffix would be completely wrong and I’m sure would open Icann up to some
serious public examination and criticism.

I trust you will see sense in this matter; if you don’t, expect uproar!

Yours sincerely,

Andrew Brenson

Former Head of IT at Save the Children UK, now and Independent Consultant in
the NGO sector.