ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

Concern about closed Internet addresses

  • To: <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Concern about closed Internet addresses
  • From: Kylie Pellett <kylie.pellett@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 06:37:03 +1300

NZICT represents the information & communication technology industry of New
Zealand.  NZICT aims to help New Zealand technology businesses by
encouraging talent, increasing knowledge, and weighing in on important
policy matters.

We recently learned about ICANN¹s plans to expand the top-level domain space
by adding hundreds of new top-level domains. We are generally supportive of
this expansion, as it will potentially allow for innovation, web
organization, and a dedicated namespace for established brands.

However, not all about this TLD expansion is good for the internet, its
users, and the public interest.  Specifically, we are concerned about the
potential for private and exclusive control of TLDs that represent generic
industry categories.  Allowing one organisation to exclude competitors from
a TLD that defines its industry or product category has the potential to
harm competition, confuse consumers, create unnecessary online barriers to
commerce, and undermine the openness of the internet.  It also contravenes
ICANN¹s affirmation of commitments and its stated purpose justifying the new
gTLD program.

We have informed our members about this issue and sought their feedback.

TLD is one that represents an industry category in which the applicant
competes and that (ii) ICANN should require any such closed generic TLDs to
be opened to competitors.  Of course we recognize certain restrictions that
serve the public interest and do not hinder competition are appropriate
(e.g., .bank for verified financial institutions).

We encourage ICANN to ensure that the new registry models are in the public
interest.  Closed generics are not, and therefore should not be allowed.

Kylie Pellett
Events and Marketing Manager | NZICT - Technology Association of New Zealand
Level 1 Building C 14-22 Triton Drive, Albany, Auckland, New Zealand
mobile +64 21 611 148 | office + 64 9 475 0209 | Skype: kylie.pellett
www.nzict.org.nz <http://www.nzict.org.nz/>