ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

Electronic Security Association: Opposition to Closed gTLDs

  • To: "comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Electronic Security Association: Opposition to Closed gTLDs
  • From: ESA Communications <communications@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 20:39:42 +0000

Good afternoon:

The Electronic Security Association (ESA), which represents more than 2,500
member companies involved in the electronic life safety and security industry,
would like to register our collective opposition to the practice of closed
gTLDs, including the domain name ".security."

We strongly disagree with the concept of any single registrant claiming
exclusive rights to generic terms that should be available for common use by
companies or entities involved in a given industry. We believe this practice is
restrictive and anti-competitive, and would create an Internet "land grab" that
benefits companies with large amounts of resources.

To allow these entities to "purchase" common terms for which they do not
possess intellectual property rights allows them to circumvent well established
processes for obtaining legitimate and recognized domain names and trademark
protections.

Any new TLDs which are created should be available for open registration on a
non-discriminatory basis, with no exclusive-use restrictions or control over
domain names.

Regards,

Electronic Security Association
6333 N. State Highway 161