ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

Thoughts on Closed Generic gTLD

  • To: "comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Thoughts on Closed Generic gTLD
  • From: mitchell snyder <mitch7_26@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 19:10:06 -0500

I think the idea of corporations being able to purchase top level domain names
is a very bad idea. If this is allowed it would make them useless. If Amazon
goes owns every .shop domain then what's the point of even having them
available for use. It'd be like producing millions of cars and then putting
them all in a vault that no one can use. Why go through the trouble of having
those cars at all? There's really no practical reason that I can see that they
would need to purchase top level domains in the first place. Perhaps if the top
level domain was the name of their company it might make sense but other than
that it seems pretty pointless to waste perfectly useful domains when they
could be extremely helpful in the future with narrowing down what sort of site
you are looking for. You could simply say I'm looking for buying things and
only sites with .shop domains would be returned. They seem very useful once
they catch on and if we ruin them so quickly it would be a shame.

Thank you for opening this up for public comment.
Sincerely,Mitchell Snyder