ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-com-amendment-30jun16]

Do not let Verisign create monopoly over the Internet

  • To: comments-com-amendment-30jun16@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Do not let Verisign create monopoly over the Internet
  • From: Martin <punx@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 15:38:13 +0200

Healthy competition is good for business, and domains are no exception.

I believe that the current .com price doesn’t reflect real costs of registry
operation. It’s far from reality. There are two assumptions, supporting my
opinion:

a.) the more domains registered, the lower should be the cost of registration
(creating new records) and maintenance per domain record. One time investments
(infrastructure upgrades) are not included - profits from registry operation
should well cover such expenses.

b.) increasing .com price over time doesn’t make sense as a trend and will not
make sense in the future. The equipment is getting cheaper year by year, and
cost of operation should copy the trend. At least on per domain basis.

Other than that, I am not a big fan of the current status in general, where one
(commercial, private) entity controls the internet by maintaining root zone
access, but can’t think of an easy and quick solution for that matter, so
please, at least allow bidding for the next .com contract.

Considering current status of .com registry, Verisign does good job when it
comes to reliability. However, not for the money. It shouldn’t cost that much
to successfully operate the registry.

Do what’s right.

Martin Senko