ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-com-amendment-30jun16]

Do not renew the contract early! The Price of .COM Needs to Be Addressed In Public Before Any Renewal Is Granted. If the Price is not Regulated, ICANN Needs to Not Be Allowed The Freedom To Go International

  • To: "comments-com-amendment-30jun16@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-com-amendment-30jun16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Do not renew the contract early! The Price of .COM Needs to Be Addressed In Public Before Any Renewal Is Granted. If the Price is not Regulated, ICANN Needs to Not Be Allowed The Freedom To Go International
  • From: Bronc Jordan <unitedweinternet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 23:24:54 +0000

While I realize ICANN does not care much about the pricing of second level
domain names, I implore ICANN to realize how much it royally messed things up
when it was being sued by Verisign and eventually caved into creating a
monopoly over the management of the .com domain name extension when giving
Verisign a presumptive right of renewal over the .com namespace.

It is unfortunate that discussions of the .COM contract renewal are done behind
closed doors.  Therefore, most people in the ICANN community, the Internet
community and the general public do not know what exactly is in contract
between the companies.

I demand that ICANN force the reduction of pricing in .COM domain names and do
not proceed with this “generic” and “non-detailed” extension which seems to
only benefit Verisign without any details as is.

Verisign is making far in excess of what it should be from operation of the
.COM contract.   Especially as the base registration of .COM domains has grown,
as infrastructure has declined (based on VeriSign’s own earnings reports), and
based on the fact that this monopoly was effectively created a decade ago by
ICANN, and that Verisign’s profits have only risen every year ever since.

ICANN needs to be responsible for what it SUPPOSEDLY oversees and correct the
monopoly it created in the first place.  Worst case it should pragmatically cap
the excess revenues Verisign can make from the monopoly it grants, and most
likely reduce the profits that any organization managing this extension might
receive.

If ICANN cannot fix the issue it created and continues to create, I strongly
advise that the United States Government should intervene as this is clearly a
strong sign that ICANN is not ready to be an international organization that is
not answerable to no-one!

ICANN needs to be responsible for it’s actions.  If it cannot, it is clearly
not ready to be an international organization that is not responsible for the
problems it creates.

Bronc Jordan
/B.R. Jordan/
United We Internet